I love it when something so easy and quick can come out so good.
These vanilla shortbread cookies were a big hit this weekend. And they are grain free and egg free. If you can do dairy, the butter or ghee option is delicious, but otherwise the palm shortening works just as well.
Eat them plain, dip them in chocolate, or spoon some apricot jam on top (my family’s choice).
Vanilla Shortbread (Grain-free and Egg-free with Dairy-free option)
Use a tablespoon size ice cream scoop for easy measuring of cookie dough.
Yield: 25 cookies
1 1/2 cups almond flour
1/2 cup tapioca starch
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of sea salt
1/3 cup melted butter, ghee, or palm shortening*
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 tablespoon vanilla powder or vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Whisk dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
3. Whisk wet ingredients together and mix together with dry ingredients.
4. Scoop out dough, 1 tablespoon at a time, and place on baking sheet. Flatten dough balls gently with your fingers.
5. Bake for 15-18 minutes until edges begin to golden.
6. Let cool on a rack.
*I haven’t tested the recipe with coconut oil yet. Will update this when I do.