Honey cakes are traditionally served on Rosh Hashanah, symbolizing the wish for a sweet new year.
In this grain-free version of a honey cake, I kept some of the traditional spices in, like cinnamon and cloves, but kept out the black coffee, and switched up raisins for goldenberries.
For the grain-free batter, I adapted the Lemon Pound Cake recipe from the Civilized Caveman Cooking Creations blog. I like the ingredients he uses in his baked goods so thought his almond flour/coconut flour dairy free batter would be a good starting point for my adaptation.
I also love this Pull Apart Honeycomb cake pan from Nordic Ware - it’s perfect for keeping with the sweetness theme of Rosh Hashanah and makes it so fun to serve. But you don’t need a special pan to make this recipe.
If you are using a specialty pan, be extra careful when inverting the cake so the delicate cake stays in one piece.
Grain-Free Honey Cake
Adapted from Civilized Caveman’s Lemon Pound Cake recipe. I used a Honecomb Pull-Apart cake pan, but you can use any pan – but baking time will vary so make sure to test for doneness.
2 cups almond flour
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon powdered ginger
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon cardamom (optional)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla powder (or use vanilla extract)
2/3 cup raw honey
2/3 cup melted coconut oil
1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk
Zest of one organic orange
1/3 cup goldenberries or golden raisins
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Whisk dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
3. Process oil and honey in a food processor for a few minutes, continue processing as you add in eggs, coconut milk, and orange zest.
4. Pour wet ingredients into the dry and mix thoroughly with a spoon.
5. Pour batter into a greased cake pan and bake for 22 minutes (for the honeycomb cake pan) or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
6. Let the cake cool in pan and invert carefully onto a cake platter.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase an item through an affiliate link, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. This helps cover the costs of my blog and to keep sharing content with you on a regular basis.
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.