These grain-free chocolate chip muffins are one of my children’s favorite snacks. I’ve been tweaking this recipe the last few months and am finally ready to share it with you.
The muffins are made with almond and coconut flour and even if you are not on a gluten-free or paleo diet I recommend baking with these flours for a more nutritious snack than wheat flour baked goods.
Low fat treats can quickly spike your blood sugar – always eat snacks and desserts with fats and protein to help modulate how quickly the sugar enters your bloodstream and downplay the hormonal havoc it can have on your body.
But remember these are still “treats” and not meant to replace real whole foods.
Chocolate Chip Muffins
A small cookie scoop makes dividing the batter into the muffin tin much easier.
Makes 24 mini-muffins
1 1/4 cups blanched almond flour
3 tablespoons coconut flour
pinch of sea salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon vanilla powder or vanilla extract
1/2 cup butter or coconut oil, melted
1/3 cup honey or maple syrup
1/3 cup full-fat coconut milk
1/2 cup mini-chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350F degrees and line a mini-muffin pan with parchment baking cups.
2. Whisk dry ingredients together in a bowl.
3. In another bowl, whisk butter (or oil), honey, eggs, coconut milk, and vanilla extract.
4. Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix or whisk thoroughly with a spoon. Mix in chocolate chips.
5. Pour 2 tablespoons of batter into each muffin cup and bake for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
6. Let muffins cool a few minutes in pan before removing to a cooling rack.