The combination of flavors in this five spice chicken with green apple and ginger is amazing! But even better is how quick and easy this flavorful recipe is to put together.
Five spice powder is a Chinese spice blend that includes all five tastes (sweet, sour, bitter, salty and hot) with spices like star anise, fennel, cinnamon, Sichuan pepper, and clove. There are many recipes online for a homemade version, but I usually buy a pre-made blend. It’s also a great spice rub for making rotisserie chicken. (I make five-spice rotisserie chicken every week!).
The five spice powder and ginger packs this dish with flavor but the secret ingredient is red palm oil – seriously! Red palm oil and poultry is the perfect combination, especially for those of us that can’t use butter to roast poultry. It’s a heat stable fat, gives poultry an amazing color, and helps with retaining moisture.
Red palm oil is also full of nutrients and anti-oxidants like beta-carotene, lycopene, and tocotrienols. It is derived from the fruit of the oil palm tree (palm kernel oil comes from the seed or kernel). And there are sustainable sources for red palm oil, so make sure to research brands before you buy.
Five Spice Chicken with Green Apples and Ginger
You can marinade the chicken in the red palm oil and spices overnight or prepare just before roasting.
1 organic chicken cut into 8 pieces
2 tablespoons red palm oil
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 large onion cut into slices
10-12 garlic cloves
1 4-inch piece fresh ginger cut into slices
2 teaspoons Chinese five spice powder
5-6 green apples cut halved and cored
1. Preheat oven to 425F.
2. Cover the chicken pieces evenly with the palm oil.
3. Spread the onion, garlic, and ginger in a roasting pan.
4. Lay the chicken pieces skin side up on top of the onions. Sprinkle the spice powder and salt over the chicken.
5. Place the apple pieces cut side down in between the chicken and place the roasting pan in the oven.
6. Roast for 45-60 minutes until cooked through. Baste the chicken with its own liquid halfway through.
7. Remove from the oven and serve. Garnish with lemon balm or mint if desired.