My favorite part of a pumpkin or sweet potato pie is the combination of warm spices that permeates the creamy filling. Here is a quick way to enjoy the flavors of pumpkin pie in an easy to make side dish: baked sweet potato “pie” fries.
The fries are flavored with the same combination of spices you find in pumpkin pie; cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, and allspice. And roasting the potatoes brings out its sweetness, so no added sugar is necessary.
Sweet potato fries are easy to make. Just slice into wedges and roast in the oven with coconut oil or butter. Though I have measurements for the “pie” flavored fries below, most of the time I sprinkle my spices of choice straight from the jar onto the potatoes and mix it all in the roasting pan.
Baked Sweet Potato “Pie” Fries
If doubling the recipe, use an additional roasting pan – the potatoes will roast better in a single layer.
Yield: 4-6 servings
3 pounds sweet potatoes cut into wedges
3 tablespoons coconut oil
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice, or make your own (recipe follows)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Whisk the coconut oil, vanilla extract, and spices in a small pan over low heat until combined.
3. Place potato wedges on a roasting pan and pour spiced coconut oil on top and mix to coat evenly.
4. Make sure potatoes lay in a single layer on the roasting pan and place in the oven for 20 minutes.
5. Remove pan, flip potatoes, and roast for an additional 20-25 minutes.
Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice
Adjust the allspice amount to taste – some prefer just a pinch.
Yield: 2 1/2 teaspoons
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
Combine ingredients and store in a covered jar if not using immediately.